Thursday, February 2, 2012

C.O.R.G.I. backdrop mural

Greetings everyone!
I wanted to post a picture of the backdrop I created for the Central Ohio Rain Garden Initiative                    ( http://www.centralohioraingardens.org/ )  Check out their site and their mission! This project was done in conjunction with the Franklin Soil & Water Conservation District, among other sponsors.   They are having a great sale of fish, trees, perennials, rain garden kits, fruit trees, shrubs -- http://www.franklinswcd.org/2012/01/2012-tree-and-fish-sale-on-line-ordering/  --in case you're interested in supporting a great cause.

In creating this backdrop I became acutely aware of the fact that I'm short. The backdrop is 8' by 10' and I had to enlist the hubs to hang it on the garage wall so that I could airbrush it. I dug in, sporting my attractive black and purple respirator, by blocking out colors and attempting to match the scale required so that it would fit the items in the display. As I worked on a big step stool I felt as if I was floating around as I spread the paint. I felt like I was doing Tai Chi! There was a good deal of tweaking done with colors before going back in with black to do outlines and details. After hemming, I sewed a sleeve on the back so that it could be displayed easily. I very much enjoyed doing this and am happy with how it looks within the display - this group worked hard on this concept and I think it turned out great!


On the left, behind the brochure rack in the photo, there was to be a rain barrel with a hose that ran through the fabric on the gutter. The hose was to be held in place by a rope attached to the top. There is a Corgi dog in the foreground since their organization is C.O.R.G.I. and I put my kitties, Mollycat & Meridith,  peeking out of the upper window. Every window needs a cat. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artist Trading Cards

Playing around with some artist trading cards tonight for the first time in a long time. Now who to send them to? If anyone wants to ex...