Thursday, February 23, 2012

Java Central, SAQA exhibit & Otis

Latest showing of work: JAVA CENTRAL 

I'm pleased to announce that I have a number of pieces currently hanging in the back room at Java Central in Uptown Westerville. It is a neat eclectic place that serves yumminess.There are nearly 30 pieces hanging, including the newest smaller artworks. The closing reception for this exhibit of work will be on April 14th, 2012 from 2 to 4 p.m. The public is welcome so come on in! 





http://www.java-central.com/










LATEST SHOW NOTIFICATION: 
I'm very excited to announce that two of my artworks have made it into the SAQA Ohio juried show, Creative Statements: Ohio Art Quilts 2012. They are pictured below. This exhibit will be at the Zanesville Museum of Art and the opening reception will be on April 21st from 2 to 4 p.m. This will be an amazing show of textile/quilt artists from all over Ohio. Please come have some art fun with me! 

"Cocoons"

"Battles"
I haven't really given a full explanation of "Battles" so I thought I'd take the opportunity. When brainstorming I tend to choose subjects that are very close to me and that I'm very passionate about. This piece came about as the result of dealing with someone dear to me who happens to be a heroin addict. This family member reached out to me and came to my house to make an attempt to get clean. I was able to see the effects of this drug and just how addictive it is. In creating the piece I knew I needed to make it big. I wanted it to be something that used symbolism and had a greater meaning than what it appears. In thinking of the idea of attacking heroin and began to picture monsters destroying cities. Even the Stay Puff marshmallow man from Ghost Busters came to mind. To me, the ultimate monster attacking cities is Godzilla. It was also something the viewer would recognize. When looking closer at the work you can see the symbols leading the way to the meaning of the work - the dead red dragons, the breaking of the spoon, the scattered balloons, the syringes making up the city skyline. In creating this work I was instilling all hopes in the recovery of someone I love, hoping he realizes he has so many possibilities in life and can be so much more. I felt like I was trying to instill strength in the piece for him. I'm honored that the piece will hang - and may Godzilla win this one.

MEET OTIS:
A new member of the family will be arriving this weekend. Meet Otis Earle Tankenheimer. He is a six week old mutt and I'm sure will appear in future pieces because he is going to turn this house upside down!



UPCOMING:

  • I will be speaking about my work at Central High School to art students on March 8th. I'm excited to share and talk with them (some are past students!) 
  • I'll be starting to sell and get my new Mookie monsters out there in the next month.
I have many new pieces I'm trying to finish so I hope there will be much to share in the next month! 

love and light to all, 
jancy (juno)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Artist Trading Cards

Playing around with some artist trading cards tonight for the first time in a long time. Now who to send them to? If anyone wants to ex...