Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"Spokane Trainstop At Sunrise"

This piece I am very excited to have complete. For our honeymoon we took a cross country train trip last December from Chicago to Portland. We shot over 1100 photographs on our trip because the world around us was just so amazing. One shot was just at dawn at the stop in Spokane, WA. We were there for enough time for us to hop off the train and walk around looking at all of the old brick buildings with worn painted ads on them. It was a great moment. I combined the images in my mind when creating this piece as the photos were not before me and the composition communicates the feeling of the entire experience for me. Below you will see a couple of the photographs from that morning and the artwork itself.

"Spokane Trainstop At Dawn"
I've begun playing with different types of hand embroidery stitches and patterns, often looking through old books from the 1960's and 70's that were my grandmothers and using the stitches as inspiration for making up my own. I can't seem to create pieces without the hand stitching element involved. I'm a junkie for it's soothing feel to the touch and the calmness it brings while creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Artist Trading Cards

Playing around with some artist trading cards tonight for the first time in a long time. Now who to send them to? If anyone wants to ex...